Tuesday, December 11, 2012

War Veteran

"Iraq Veteran... Anything will help"...

He looks up, distant glossy eyes reflecting a detached soul. He is so young, yet aged by unspoken horrors that have etched their mark around his eyes. Part of a leg is missing. He looks dissheveled, unkempt. 

My breath hitches.   Not the kind of hitching brought about by unbridled passion, but the kind brought by extreme pain. 

We lock eyes. i stand there, petrified. Anger, shame, disappointment, disgust, hatred fills my core as i try slowly to stabalize my breathing. My vision blurred, i know that i have succumbed to the tears. I dare not move. I keep my gaze on him, as his intensifies.

And finally, one shameless tear escapes and makes a run for my lips...

......

"I am sorry, so very very sorry"....

That's all i can say as i pull out what ever i have in my purse and dump it in front of him. Ashamed, disconcerted, humbled, distressed... i cannot fit into my own skin. The collective guilt of a wrongful war, of any war has knocked me to my knees.

Who have we become? what have we done to our youths? what are we leaving behind for our children.

.....

i weep as i walk into the Courtroom.


CDAK




No comments:

Post a Comment